Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thoughts from 2007..contd

... Another great memory, that severed my relationship with doctors, was formed during those routine physicals for school. I’ll never forget sitting inside that cold, smelly little examining room and in walks the doctor. A square-built Indian woman, she took her cold stethoscope and put it on my chubby chest and listened. She had me do about twenty jumping jacks and reach for the sky, then touch my toes. Then she’d listen again. All good. At the end of the examination, she told me I needed to loose some weight. Why? So I wouldn’t be one of those fat girls going to prom. Yes, she did. I believe I was in third or fourth grade and already she was talking about prom. That same doctor suggested to my mom that I go on a diet. And so I did. I was drinking skim milk and eating lunchmeat, instead of fried chicken, and all that.

The real problem was that I ate too often. My grandmother babysat me and after I got out of school everyday she would have cooked beef tips, fried chicken, lima beans, cube steak, spaghetti, mashed potatoes, or cornbread (all from scratch, none of that box stuff). So of course she’d make me a plate and I would sit in the kitchen and eat, and eat. When I was done, I’d put up my plate and we would watch The People’s Court with Judge Wapner. She’d shake her head and call the judge, plaintiff and defendant stupid. I thought it was hilarious.

I was the baby of the family for 9 years before my great little brother was born, but for those first 9 years of my life things basically went my way. My dad was my number one target. I loved the days he picked me up from grandma’s house. One because he picked me up really early. As much as I loved grandma I was always glad to go home. The second reason was because we almost never went straight home. Sometimes we’d go to my brother and sisters high school to watch their basketball games, to Montgomery Wards, or to the baseball park. No matter where we went, there was a treat in it for me. If we went to the basketball games I knew afterwards I’d get a big, juicy gyro with French fries from our favorite greasy spoon restaurant. If we went to Montgomery Wards in Evergreen Plaza, I knew I would get the most delicious chocolate chip and pecan cookies I’d ever tasted and I’d wash it all down with a cherry ICEE. If we went to the baseball park, of course the ice cream truck was ALWAYS around, so I’d get my Bomb pop, Choco-Taco, or whatever ice cream had a bubble gum eye. Umm, even the memories taste good.

Whenever my dad’s team did well in the playoffs, the baseball league would reward them with a trip to Shakey’s buffet. And I was right there joining in on the celebration. I’d get my favorites, meatballs and mashed potatoes with gravy, sausage pizza, cheese fries, and chicken all on one plate. Even to this day when I go to buffets I have to at least get cheese fries. Of course, my dad didn’t say anything because I was a kid and kids have strange eating habits. They love something one day, and hate it when their big sister or a school friend says “ You eat that? You nasty”.

No comments:

Post a Comment